Music is an integral part of my life. If I don’t have music pumping through my headphones, I’m humming a melody, or drumming on my thighs, or swaying back and forth. The point is, music is everpresent in my existence, when I’m walking down the street and as I’m falling asleep. It can be an almost imperceptible undercurrent, or it can be something intense and deafening.
For that reason, music is very important when it comes to processing my emotions.
I have a bunch of “Shambles” playlists, those I’ve created when I’ve needed sad music. And thus, here I give you the playlist I created recently, on the 3rd of December, when one of my partners and I had an unfortunate, but necessary breakup. Consider it inspiration, maybe; somewhere from which to draw if you’re sad, perhaps.
I haven’t organized them, so ignore the order. They represent my variety of feelings. Some songs are present in many of my Shambles playlists, but others are pretty specific to this person and this scenario. Also? Funny to note the overlap between some of my sad playlists and some of my romantic playlists!
- Breakin’ Up by Rilo Kiley
- Galaxies by Laura Veirs
- Chasing Pavements by Adele
- True Affection by The Blow
- Paper Bag by Fiona Apple
- Such Great Heights by Iron & Wine
- The Ice Is Getting Thinner by Death Cab for Cutie
- Let Go by Frou Frou
- Papa Was a Rodeo by The Magnetic Fields
- Wrong for You by The Girls Can Hear Us
- Love Ridden by Fiona Apple
- I Thought You Were My Boyfriend by The Magnetic Fields
- When You Go by Jonathan Coulton
- Precious Things by Tori Amos
- So This Is Goodbye (Pink Ganter Remix) by William Fitzsimmons
- Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron & Wine
- Almost Lover by A Fine Frenzy
- Somebody That I Used To Know by Elliot Smith
- Ex Girlfriend Syndrome by Charlotte Sometimes
- The Misery Love Co. by The Spaceshots
- Sleeping With Ghosts by Placebo
- Portions for Foxes by Rilo Kiley
- Without You I’m Nothing by Placebo
- The Crawl by Placebo
- Accidntel Deth by Rilo Kiley
- Soil, Soil by Tegan and Sara